Saturday 9 March 2013

Chernobyl & Pripyat Urbex 2

Some more pictures from our recent explore of the Nuclear Exclusion Zone in Northern Ukraine. There will be more as I shot some 1100 photos during the visit.
Under an atomic sky.

The Chernobyl Hilton.

All the fun of the fair.







The plaque next to the front door of the Kindergarten in Chernobyl.

Soviet Kitsch.

View over Pripyat. Note the nuclear reactor, 3km away. To the right of which is the partly constructed sarcophagus which will eventually cover the devastated reactor 4.   

Oddly, I rather liked the place. It is unique, albeit for terrible reasons. I could see the appeal and could see how the Architect had envisioned the town. I have clearly been spending too much time with Architects...

Always in mind is the radioactivity. You can't feel it, or taste it, or smell it. But it is there alright. Oddly, all our cameras devoured batteries on the visit. This was unusual. Also unusual, but since I have been tidying up my photos I have noticed, so I will share with you - I am usually very 'level' in that my pictures are usually correctly exposed, I am also 'level' in that I take pictures with level horizons. I don't do cock-eyed. But almost every photograph from the zone has required leveling up, to get the earth flat, the buildings plum and the contrast correct. I am assuming nothing, just reporting on what I came away with.
Fairground. Never used. A very sad place.
Stage door, Pripyat theatre.

50,000 people lived here once.


In the Kindergarten.

Liquidated Villages.

No comments:

Post a Comment